Who is responsible for what?


Most repairs to your home are our responsibility. However, certain items are your responsibility and the table below lists these responsibilities.



Response times


Our response times for repairs are as follows.            


Emergency: Made safe in four hours, 24 hours to restore            

Urgent: Carried out within two working days            

Routine: Carried out within seven working days            

Non-routine: Carried out within 28 working days            

Repair by appointment: Repair carried out on a certain date  


Some repairs may take longer to complete if we find out they are more complicated than we first thought or if we need to order parts or materials. We will always begin the repair within the target time and let you know if there will be a delay in finishing the job.        


Right to repair  


Some emergency and urgent repairs are covered by the ‘right to repair’ regulations for Scottish secure tenants. When you tell us about a problem, we will tell you whether the repair falls under this scheme. You can view a leaflet on the right to here:


 Right To Repair Leaflet


Right to repair means that if we do not deal with qualifying repairs within the agreed timescale, you have the right to appoint another contractor from our approved list to carry out the work. You are also eligible for compensation for the inconvenience if the repair is not carried out.


Reporting repairs



Phone our repairs Freephone service on 0800 068 1466 during office hours:      


Monday to Thursday: 9am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm            

Friday: 9am to 1pm, 1.30pm to 4.30pm.  


We will also be happy to accept repairs reported personally at any of our offices. When reporting a repair, you should give as much detail as possible so that we can assess the work which will be needed. We will tell you the length of time in which your repairs should be completed and whether a member of staff will need to inspect the repair before issuing instructions to our contractor. You will also receive a copy of the repair order. The contractor will ask you to sign his copy of the repair order once the job has been completed.  


You should also give a contact number where possible, and give details of when you can let us in.


Reporting an emergency at night, weekends and holidays


Please use the repairs Freephone number on 0800 068 1466 and you will be given details of the emergency contact numbers you need. 


Emergency Items


The list below shows the repairs that we class as emergency items.   


1.      Gas escapes

2.      Burst pipes causing flooding                  

3.      Blocked drain or soil pipe causing a serious leak of sewage into your home         

4.      Blocked toilet              

5.      No hot- or cold-water supply in the property              

6.      No gas central heating if no other form of heating is available in the property                

7.      Broken or damaged door lock or door locks               

8.      Broken or damaged windows      

9.      Broken handrail to stairs               

10.    Serious roof leak or water leaking into the property            

11.    No electrical power to the home          

12.    No electrical power for lighting  



We will only repair items 7 and 8 if the fault is due to vandalism and has been reported to the police.




When we receive your report, we will decide whether to arrange for one of our staff to inspect the problem or to ask a contractor to come out. We will normally try to have the repair passed direct to the contractor and the more information you can give us about the problem, the better our chances of getting the repair done quickly and effectively. We will give you a receipt for any repairs. This will give details of the work to be carried out and the timescale for finishing them.


Once a repair has been carried out, we check that it has been done to the correct standard and represents value for money. A member of staff may arrange to inspect the completed repair. They will ask you for your views on the quality of work and the overall service you received. If there are any problems, we will contact the contractor about them. We will always give you a repairs satisfaction questionnaire and a Freepost envelope which will allow you to give us your comments on how satisfied you are with the time taken to carry out the repair and the standard of work. This part of the process is very important. It lets us know how our service affects our customers and how we can learn from their experiences to make improvements.  If we ask you to give us feedback, we would appreciate your help.



Contractor responsibilities


We make sure our contractors are fully qualified and have the relevant up-to-date insurance certificates, as well as other accreditations where appropriate.  We also expect them to work to an agreed code of conduct. For example, they must keep to current health-and-safety regulations. They will be polite and show respect for your property and keep any disruption to a minimum. All of our contractors carry official company identification which you should always ask to see before letting them into your home. 


Tenant alterations


If you want to carry out improvements or alterations to your home, such as installing a shower or a new kitchen, you should get our permission before making a start. We will consider all reasonable requests and give advice on how to proceed. We will not unreasonably withhold our permission to carry out improvements, although it will normally depend on certain conditions. For example, this may be in terms of the standards of workmanship and making sure any work is carried out by fully qualified contractors. You or your contractor must repair any damage to our property as a result of the improvement work.


Compensation for improvements


At the end of your tenancy you may be eligible for compensation for certain improvement work that you have carried out with our permission. You can get more information from us about the types of work that may qualify for compensation.


Rechargeable repairs


We may charge you for the cost of repair work in the following circumstances:


Damage due to neglect or vandalism, or accidental damage caused by you or your household or visitors to  your home.

Damage caused by unauthorised alterations or installations.

Replacing lost or stolen keys.            

If the repair is not covered under our normal repairs responsibilities, but you have asked us to do it knowing that we will charge you.

We will tell you if we are going to charge for a repair. And, if possible, we will give you an estimated cost before the repair is carried out.

If you are giving up your tenancy and have been given notice to put right any damage or alterations identified during the ‘pre-termination of tenancy inspection’.  


We will consider the individual circumstances of each case when deciding what tenants are responsible for.




It is your responsibility to decorate the inside of your home and you should keep your home well decorated.


Defects liability period


If you move into one of our homes within 12 months of it being built, there is a different repairs procedure because the property is still in the ‘defects liability’ period. You should still report repairs to us in the normal way. We will then pass them on to the contractor to carry them out. If the problem is a minor one that isn’t likely to cause further damage or inconvenience, it will be placed on a list of work that is done at the end of the ‘defects liability’ period. This lets the contractor arrange for all the minor repairs in the scheme to be done at the same time.


Pests and vermin


We are not responsible for dealing with pest problems in your home so you need to contact your local council’s pest control or environmental health department and ask for their advice. The advice is free but some councils charge for their service, so ask them beforehand what the cost may be.


If you come across pests in shared areas, such as bin stores or closes, contact us immediately. We will investigate and carry out the work recommended by the local council.




We want to make sure that people can stay in their homes as long as possible. If a medical problem affects your ability to get around, we can carry out adaptations to your home to help. If you need your home to be adapted in some way, you should first have an assessment carried out by one of your local council’s occupational therapists. They would then make an application to us on your behalf. You can get contact numbers from any of our offices. We receive funding from the Scottish Government to do this type of work, but this funding is limited and demand is high. We keep the applications on a list until funding becomes available. For more information, please contact us.


Cyclical maintenance


Cyclical repairs are those which are needed within a certain time such as electrical safety checks and painting closes and fences. These are routinely carried out based on the life cycle of the item which needs repairing and maintaining.    


Dampness and condensation (black mould)


Condensation happens when there is a build-up of moisture in the air and warm, damp air hits a cold surface. This moisture will cling to certain surfaces including leather, outside walls, tiles, mirrors and windows. If this moisture is not dried out with natural ventilation, it may turn into mould. To avoid this you should try:  


  • Producing less moisture by covering boiling pans;
  • Drying clothes in well-ventilated rooms;
  • Using air vents or opening windows;
  • Keeping your home warm (so the moisture can dry out);
  • Wiping down mould (you can use diluted bleach, a mixture of white vinegar and water or specialist cleaning products);
  • Not using calor gas or paraffin heaters; and
  • Using extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms (most have them fitted).

to read, translate or enlarge text